Geographic charts (Beta)¶
DSS can produce some geographic charts. Geo charts let you display on a world map a dataset containing a geography feature
This feature is considered as a BETA feature. You might encounter issues while using it and we do not guarantee that this feature will keep working the same in future versions.
Prerequisite: install the geoadmin plugin¶
To draw geographic charts, you must first install the DSS plugin called “reverse geocoding”. Please see Installing a DSS plugin.
A geographic column is either a point or another kind of geometry. Valid geographic columns are detected as “Geopoint” or “Geometry” in the exploration component.
Geographic columns can be obtained in DSS:
- By reading a GeoJSON or Shapefile dataset
- By reading any dataset containing a column in WKT format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-known_text)
- By applying a geocoding processor in a preparation script
- By applying a “Resolve GeoIP” processor in a preparation script
Creating a geo chart¶
DSS geo chart are aggregated charts: rows in your dataset are aggregated by administrative levels:
- By country
- By region
- By city
To create a geo chart:
- In the chart type picker, select the World Map (Beta)
- Drag and drop a geographic column (identified by the globe icon) in the “Break down by …” section
- Drag and drop numeric columns in the Color and/or Size locations
You can change the “level of aggregation” by opening the settings of the geo column.
Two kinds of geo charts are available:
- Unfilled map: each administrative level is represented by a circle. You can assign measures to both color and size
- Filled map: each administrative level is represented by its real polygon. You can assign a measure to the color
DSS comes pre-bundled with a number of map backgrounds provided by Carto.
More map backgrounds can be added using DSS plugins
- You can find in the Dataiku plugins a plugin to add map backgrounds from Mapbox (requires a Mapbox API key)
- You can find in the Dataiku plugins a plugin to add map backgrounds from any WMS server
- In addition, you can create your own plugins to add other backgrounds
For more information, see Custom chart elements.