Map charts let you display a dataset containing geographic features on a world map.
The Map charts build visualizations based a required Geo column, whose values can be geographic points or geometries.
- The Scatter Map layout plots a point at each individual geopoint. It allows you to add optional Color and Size columns that change the color and size of the points based upon the column values. The Size column must be numeric, but the Color column can be text or numeric.
- The Geometry Map layout works best with geometries, but will work with geopoints, in which case it is like a Scatter Map with no Size column.
The Grid Map layout plots the geographic locations as rectangular grids on the map. It allows you to add an optional Color column that changes the color of the points based upon the column values. The Color column can be text or numeric.
Administrative maps are considered a BETA feature. You might encounter issues while using it and we do not guarantee that this feature will keep working the same way in future versions.
Administrative maps are aggregated charts: rows in your dataset are aggregated by administrative levels; for example:
- By country
- By region
- By city
You can change the “level of aggregation” by opening the settings of the Geo column.
Two kinds of Administrative maps are available:
- In the Bubbles layout, each administrative level is represented by a circle. You can assign measures to both color and size.
- In the Filled layout, each administrative level is represented by its real polygon. You can assign a measure to the color
A geographic column is either a point or another kind of geometry. Valid geographic columns are detected as “Geopoint” or “Geometry” in the exploration component.
Geographic columns can be obtained in DSS:
- By reading a GeoJSON or Shapefile dataset
- By reading any dataset containing a column in WKT format
- By applying a geocoding processor in a preparation script
- By applying a “Resolve GeoIP” processor in a preparation script
DSS comes pre-bundled with map backgrounds provided by Carto. More map backgrounds can be added using DSS plugins: