Customization of base images¶
This requires knowledge of Docker concepts and skills in creating custom Dockerfiles.
When building the base image with
./bin/dssadmin build-base-image --type container-exec
a base image is created with:
- Python 2.7 and Python 3.6
- No CUDA support
To build a CUDA-enabled base image, add
--with-cuda to the command line:
./bin/dssadmin build-base-image --type container-exec --with-cuda
- This image contains CUDA 10.0 and CuDNN 7.6. You can use
--cuda-version 10.1If you require other CUDA versions, you would have to create a custom image.
- You can also build it as a separate base image (see
After each upgrade of DSS, you must rebuild all base images.
If you don’t use the
--tag flag, DSS builds a base image with this naming scheme:
dku-exec-base-DSS_INSTALL_ID : dss-DSS_VERSION
- DSS_INSTALL_ID is the identifier of the DSS installation, found in the
- DSS_VERSION is the version of DSS.
If you don’t specify anything in the “base image” field of the DSS containerized execution configuration, this tag will automatically be used.
You can build other base images by appending the
--tag IMAGE_NAME:IMAGE_VERSION flag to the
./bin/dssadmin build-base-image --type container-exec command.
You can set the proxy to use to build with
--no-proxy to set the
no_proxy environment variables.
There are cases where you would want to install additional system packages, generally because they are required by your code environments.
For that, add
You may want to add custom Dockerfile commands. For that, use
--dockerfile-prepend PATH_TO_FILE or
The prepended Dockerfile is added just after the FROM. The appended Dockerfile is added at the very end of the Dockerfile.
For cases not covered, the generic processs would be:
- Build a base image with the regular DSS mechanisms.
- Write a custom Dockerfile that starts from the built base image, and add the required package.
- Build this custom Dockerfile, and output a custom tag.
- Enter this custom tag in the DSS containerized execution configuration.
After each upgrade of DSS, you must rebuild all base images, including custom ones.